Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Quick Yeast-Free Dinner Rolls
MAKES 12 MEDIUM ROLLS
If you’re avoiding yeast,* these rolls are for you. Recipe created by Rebecca Reilly.
3 cups gluten-free high-protein flour blend
¼ cup coconut flour
¼ cup milk powder of choice or DariFree non-dairy powdered milk alternative
¾ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons baking powder*
1 teaspoon baking soda*
1½ teaspoons xanthan gum
1 teaspoon agar or gelatin
1 tablespoon honey or agave nectar
½ cup unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
3 tablespoons light olive oil or melted butter + extra for brushing
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
1 cup seltzer water, room temperature
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a muffin tin by spraying the cups with oil and lightly dusting the bottoms with cornmeal or rice flour.
2. Mix the flour blend with coconut flour, milk powder of choice, salt, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, and agar in the bowl of the mixer.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg, honey, applesauce, oil and vinegar together.
4. Using the beater/paddle, mix the liquid mixture into the dry. Beat until just blended and the batter is smooth, about 30 seconds. Fold in seltzer water.
5. Spoon the dough into the prepared muffin tin until the cups are half full. Brush the tops with oil or melted butter. Place the pan immediately in the preheated oven on the middle rack and bake 20 to 30 minutes. (Rolls are done when their internal temperature reads 200 degrees and the bottoms sound hollow when tapped.) Remove rolls from the muffin tin and cool on a rack.