Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Gluten-Free White Chicken Chili
Makes 8 Cups
Here’s a tasty way to enjoy leftover chicken or turkey. For vegetarian chili, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth; omit the poultry and add two additional cans of beans.
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 cup minced onions
1 green pepper, diced
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1½ cups diced zucchini
1½ cups diced yellow squash
1½ cups frozen corn
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
½ teaspoon salt
12 grinds black pepper, or to taste
1 teaspoon oregano
1 cup diced canned tomatillos or green salsa
1 (15-ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups gluten-free chicken broth
2 pounds shredded or diced cooked chicken or turkey
1. Heat olive oil in large pot and sauté garlic, onion and pepper until onion is translucent.
2. Toss in chili powder and stir for 1 minute.
3. Add remaining ingredients, except chicken or turkey, and cook until zucchini and yellow squash are tender.
4. Stir in chicken or turkey and let mixture simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Adjust seasonings to taste. Serve hot.
TIP: You can use ground or diced raw chicken or turkey. Add uncooked meat to the pot once onions are translucent and sauté meat until it’s cooked.
Each serving contains 301 calories, 6g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 93mg cholesterol, 23g carbohydrate, 239mg sodium, 5g fiber, 41g protein.
This recipe by cookbook author Rebecca Reilly was published in the February/March 2009 issue of Living Without magazine.