Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Sweet Potatoes with Homemade Marshmallow Topping
SERVES 10 TO 12
This is a sophisticated version of classic sweet potato casserole with marshmallows. Making your own marshmallow topping may seem over the top but it’s worth it. Not only does it taste better, this marshmallow topping is free of refined sugar and corn.
6 tablespoons cold water
5 teaspoons (2 packets) unflavored gelatin
1 cup light agave nectar
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4-5 pounds sweet potatoes, cubed
¼ cup unsalted butter or dairy-free butter alternative
½ teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
½ teaspoon pepper
4 tablespoons brown sugar
6–8 tablespoons unflavored milk of choice
1. To make Marshmallow Topping, combine water and gelatin and microwave for 30 seconds on high. Place mixture in the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Add agave, salt and vanilla. Turn mixer on low to combine ingredients. Then turn to highest speed and beat for 15 minutes. Reserve.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 10x14 -inch baking dish with gluten-free, non-stick cooking spray.
3. Place cubed sweet potatoes in a large saucepan filled with lightly salted cold water. Bring to a boil and continue to boil until sweet potatoes are fork tender, about 15 minutes. Drain potatoes, discarding liquid.
4. Add butter, salt, pepper and brown sugar to sweet potatoes and mash with a potato masher or hand-held mixer. Beat in enough milk to make a smooth, creamy consistency.
5. Spread mixture evenly into prepared baking dish. Place in preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes.
6. Spread Marshmallow Topping over top and bake another 5 to 7 minutes or until topping is melted and browned.