Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Gluten-Free Stuffing Rolls
MAKES 24 ROLLS
Here’s a way to serve both bread and stuffing, all rolled into one. A portable item for buffet or potluck that also works beautifully for a formal sit-down meal. To reheat, place rolls in preheated 350°F oven for 5 minutes. This recipe can be made with egg replacement; see instructions below.
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 large uncooked gluten-free chicken-apple
sausage, casing removed (½–¾ pound)
1 medium onion, diced
1 large apple, peeled and diced
3 teaspoons poultry seasoning, to taste
4 cups gluten-free high-protein flour blend of choice
4 teaspoons xanthan gum (omit if included in blend)
1½ teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons sugar
3 teaspoons active dry yeast
1½ cups warm milk of choice (105°F-115°F)
4 tablespoons melted butter or oil of choice
1. To prepare Stuffing, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium sauté pan. Crumble sausage and sauté until slightly brown. Add remaining olive oil and onion and apple. Cook mixture until onion and apple are soft and sausage is cooked through. Do not allow to brown. Stir in poultry seasoning, to taste. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Chop ingredients with the back of a spoon or on a cutting board. Measure out about 2½ cups. Reserve. (Set aside any extra stuffing for another use.)
2. Coat 24 muffin cups with vegetable spray. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour blend, xanthan gum, salt and sugar. Mix well. Add yeast.
5. Fold in reserved 2½ cups chopped stuffing mixture.
6. Scoop into prepared muffin tins. Cover with lightly oiled plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise until doubled in size (30 to 40 minutes).
7. Preheat oven to 350°F.
8. Remove plastic wrap. Place rolls in preheated oven and bake 22 to 25 minutes. When done, remove from oven and cool to room temperature.
Each roll contains 148 calories, 6g total fat,1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 36mg cholesterol, 237mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 4g protein.
*For Egg-Free Stuffing Rolls, stir 3 tablespoons flax meal into 9 tablespoons warm milk of choice; let mixture sit 5 minutes until thickened. Add to wet ingredients (step 4) and continue with recipe as instructed. If dough seems too dry, slowly add more milk, 1 teaspoon at a time. Rolls may bake more quickly. Begin checking at 20 minutes.
TIP Short on time? Use 4 cups (about 18 ounces) store-bought gluten-free bread mix; prepare dough according to package instructions.