Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Date Bars
MAKES 20 BARS
Not too sweet with a warm, spicy flavor, these wholesome bars make an ideal breakfast-to-go or after-school snack. For dessert, serve with your favorite whipped topping or a dusting of powdered sugar. For variety, replace sweet potato with an equal amount of pumpkin puree.
½ cup unsalted butter or dairy-free butter alternative
½ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons molasses
½ cup cooked sweet potato or pumpkin puree*
½ cup coconut milk or milk of choice
2 eggs (or 1½ teaspoons egg replacer mixed with 2 tablespoons warm water)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1¼ cups gluten-free High-Fiber Flour Blend
¼ cup coconut flour
2 tablespoons arrowroot (omit if using 2 eggs)
1 teaspoon guar gum or xanthan gum
½ teaspoon baking soda
⅛ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup gluten-free quick-cooking oats
1 cup chopped dates, raisins or dried cherries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 10-inch square pan with parchment paper.
2. In a mixer bowl, cream butter, brown sugar and molasses.
3. On low speed, beat in sweet potato puree, milk, eggs (or egg replacer mixture) and vanilla.
4. In a separate bowl, add all dry ingredients except oats and dates. Whisk to combine well.
5. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, mixing until batter is smooth. Turn off mixer.
6. Stir in oats, blending well with a spatula. Then fold in dates, mixing just until they are evenly distributed throughout the batter.
7. Press batter into prepared pan. Smooth with a wet spatula.
8. Place in preheated oven and bake 40 to 45 minutes. During the final 30 minutes, loosely cover the pan with foil. When done, cake tester or toothpick will come out clean. Let cool before cutting into squares. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired, or top with a dollop of your favorite whipped topping.
Recipe developed by Madalene Rhyand, director of Living Without’s test kitchen.