Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free S'mores Bars
MAKES 24 BARS
These decadent bars have all the fixings of the popular campfire treat—chocolate, marshmallows and graham crackers. Campfire is optional.
¾ cup (1½ sticks) unsalted butter or dairy-free
1¼ cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour blend of choice
1½ cups gluten-free graham cracker crumbs or
gluten-free graham crackers, finely ground
2 teaspoons baking powder
1½ teaspoons xanthan gum
¼ teaspoon salt
1½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips*
4 cups mini marshmallows
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13-inch baking pan with aluminum foil leaving a 2 to 3-inch overhang on two opposite ends and spray foil with vegetable oil. Or lightly oil a 9x13-inch baking pan.
2. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl until light and creamy. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat well.
3. In separate bowl, mix together flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt.
4. Add to butter mixture, beating until blended.
5. Press half the dough into prepared pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips over dough. Sprinkle with marshmallows.
6. Scatter bits of remaining dough over marshmallow, pressing to cover the marshmallows. Don’t worry if some marshmallows are showing.
7. Place pan in preheated oven and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Lift out of pan by aluminum foil handles. Set on a smooth surface and cut into bars. If using a lightly oiled baking pan, cut into squares in the pan.
*TIP For chocolate chips without gluten, dairy and soy, visit www.EnjoyLifeFoods.com.