Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Gluten-Free Rosemary Olive Millet Bread
MAKES 1 LOAF
Olives and rosemary give this yeast bread a delicious, savory flavor. It’s ideal for sandwiches and makes a cozy supper when enjoyed with hot soup and a fresh green salad.
1 cup warm water (110ºF)
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1¼ cups millet flour
1 cup cornstarch or arrowroot
½ cup tapioca starch/flour
3 teaspoons guar gum or xanthan gum
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, diced
½ teaspoon table salt
20 diced green olives (seed-free) or 2 tablespoons diced sweet red pepper
¼ cup flax seed meal
1 cup plain full-fat yogurt
¼ cup olive oil
1. Preheat oven to minimum oven temperature, no higher than 170ºF. Grease a standard (8x5-inch) loaf pan.
2. In a small bowl, combine warm water and honey. Stir in yeast and let mixture sit 5 to 10 minutes or until froth forms on top.
3. In a large bowl, place millet flour, cornstarch, tapioca starch/flour, guar gum, rosemary, salt, olives and flax seed meal. Mix very well.
4. In the bowl of a mixer, place yogurt and whip for 3 minutes until fluffy. Add olive oil and yeast mixture and beat about 3 minutes on medium speed until combined. Add dry mixture, increasing speed to high and beat for about 3 minutes.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan. Smooth top with a wet spatula.
6. Place bread in preheated oven and let rise about 40 minutes.
7. Leaving bread in oven, increase temperature to 375ºF and bake for 50 minutes or until done. Bread is done when internal temperature reaches 210ºF on an instant-read thermometer. (If bread browns too quickly, cover it loosely with foil.)
8. When done, remove loaf from oven and let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
Loaf yields 14 slices. Each slice contains 157 calories, 6g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 2mg cholesterol, 137mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 3g sugars, 2g protein, 15Est GL.
Recipe created by Living Without’s test kitchen.