Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Gluten-Free Roasted Beets with Balsamic and Orange
The vibrant hue of this dish makes it a colorful addition to the holiday meal. It is flavorful and nutrient dense, high in folate, manganese and potassium, with arugula and other greens providing healthful antioxidants. It can be prepared up to five days before serving.
4 medium beets, peeled and cut into eighths
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper
⅓ cup Balsamic Vinaigrette
2 oranges or Clementine oranges, peeled
8 ounces arugula or fresh spinach
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Place cut beets on a sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Place in preheated oven and bake 40 to 45 minutes or until tender (poke with a toothpick or knife to test). Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
4. Toss with ⅓ cup Balsamic Vinaigrette. Refrigerate until ready to eat.
5. Serve chilled or room temperature over a bed of arugula with orange segments scattered around platter.
MAKES 1 CUP
This dressing is also delicious on a full-bodied green salad with Belgium endive, curly frisee, arugula or romaine. For creamier consistency, prepare in a blender. Store unused vinaigrette in the refrigerator.
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
2 tablespoons finely minced shallot
½ cup olive oil
1 tablespoon water
½ teaspoon dried tarragon
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Whisk vinegar, mustard and shallot together.
2. In a slow stream, blend in olive oil, whisking to create an emulsion. Add water, tarragon and salt and pepper, to taste.
Each serving contains 254 calories, 21g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 83mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 3g protein.
Chef and food coach Sueson Vess, (specialeats.com), is author of Special Eats.