Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Pumpkin French Toast Cups with Maple Braised Apples
A cross between French toast and bread pudding, these whimsical cups are a tasty treat for a lazy weekend morning. The pumpkin mixture can be prepared the night before and stored in the refrigerator. Leftovers can be frozen for another occasion.
1 ripe banana
¾ cup pure pumpkin puree
1 cup milk of choice
2 tablespoons ground flax seed
1 teaspoon + ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
⅛ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
6 cups cubed gluten-free bread
1 tablespoon butter or dairy-free butter alternative
2 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease or paper-line 12 standard-size muffin cups.
2. Add banana, pumpkin, milk, flax, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, cloves, salt and vanilla to a blender or food processor container and blend until smooth.
3. Add bread cubes to a large bowl and pour in the pumpkin mixture. Stir to coat all the bread and let sit 5 minutes.
4. Divide bread cubes and any liquid not absorbed among prepared muffin cups.
5. Place in preheated oven and bake 20 minutes or until set. Let cool for at least 5 minutes before unmolding.
6. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Stir in apples, maple syrup and remaining cinnamon. Simmer 10 minutes or until apples soften.
7. Serve French toast cups with braised apples.