Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Okra, Corn and Heirloom Tomato Salad
Here’s a nod to an old Southern dish. Heap this salad on large romaine lettuce leaves. Roll each leaf up and eat like a taco.
1½ pounds heirloom tomatoes, diced
½ small red onion, diced
1 tablespoon minced basil
¼ habanero chile, seeded, ribbed, and minced
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
Coarse sea salt
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound small-medium okra pods, washed under cold water and dried
18 12-inch wooden skewers, soaked in water for at least 30 minutes
3 large ears sweet corn, silks removed, husks left on and soaked in cold, salted water for 2 hours
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat grill.
2. In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, basil, chile, lemon juice, ½ teaspoon salt, and olive oil and mix well. Cover and refrigerate.
3. Thread six or seven okra pods onto two skewers each (to keep the okra in place) and set aside.
4. Remove corn from water and place on the grill. Close the cover and grill, turning frequently, until cooked thoroughly, about 20 minutes. Remove from the grill and set aside to cool.
5. Transfer the okra to the grill and cook, turning with tongs frequently, until browned and slighted crisped, 6 to 8 minutes.
6. Remove from the grill and set aside to cool.
7. After the corn and okra have cooled, remove the husks from the corncobs, cut the kernels off the cobs and add them to a bowl.
8. Cut the okra into ½-inch round slices, discarding the stems, and add them to the bowl with the corn.
9. Remove the tomato mixture from the refrigerator. Thoroughly drain the juices, and add it to the bowl with the okra and corn.
10. Toss the salad well, season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
TIP Can’t grill out? Bake the corn (in husks with silks) in a 450-degree oven for about 25 minutes. Broil the okra in the oven about 3 inches from the heat, turning with tongs for even cooking until tender, browned and lightly crisped, about 14 to 16 minutes.