Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Lentil Quinoa Granola
SERVES 6 TO 8
Who says granola has to include oats? Nutrient-packed lentils and quinoa are a great way to jumpstart your day. If tolerated, nuts (like almonds) can be added. Use mild-flavored red lentils, as other versions may be too “earthy” for breakfast. Serve with milk or yogurt of choice.
3 cups water
¾ cup dry red lentils, rinsed
1½ cups quinoa flakes
½ cup unsweetened flaked coconut
½ cup raw shelled unsalted pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
¼ cup hemp seeds, optional
⅓ cup pure maple syrup, preferably dark grade
2 tablespoons liquid coconut oil
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground allspice
¼ teaspoon sea salt
½ cup dried cranberries or cherries
½ cup dried mango or apricot, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 275°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
2. Bring 3 cups water to a boil in a medium-size saucepan. Add lentils, reduce heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes. (Don’t over-cook them as they will be too mushy.)
3. Drain lentils well and add them to a large bowl, along with quinoa flakes, coconut, pumpkin seeds and hemp seeds, if using.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla, cinnamon, allspice and salt.
5. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix gently until everything is moist. Stir in additional maple syrup if mixture looks too dry.
6. Spread mixture out on prepared pan and place in preheated oven. Bake 1 hour or until golden brown, stirring every 15 to 20 minutes to prevent burning. Stir in dried cranberries or cherries and dried mango or apricot during the last 15 minutes of baking.
7. Cool granola completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
Each serving contains 300 calories, 13g total fat, 6g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 81mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 17g sugars, 9g protein, 18Est GL.
Canadian-based Matthew Kadey, RD, (muffintinmania.com) is a dietition and food writer. He is author of The Muffin Tin Chef (Ulysses Press 2012).