Lemon-Glazed Carrot Cake
Carrots take center stage in this hearty whole-grain cake. Instead of the traditional cream cheese frosting, it’s topped with a light lemon glaze.
2½ cups Living Without’s All Purpose Blend
¾ teaspoon xanthan gum
4 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1½ cups sugar or evaporated cane juice
6 tablespoons coconut oil, softened or organic, non-hydrogenated shortening
½ cup unsweentened applesauce
½ cup flaxseed gel*
1½ cups coconut milk beverage or dairy-free milk of choice
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups grated carrots
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
3-4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1½ tablespoons lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil two 9-inch round cake pans.
2. Combine flour blend, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a bowl. Set aside.
3. Place sugar and softened coconut oil in a large mixing bowl. Beat 5 minutes to cream sugar and coconut oil together, scraping down sides of the bowl.
4. Add applesauce, flaxseed gel, milk and vanilla. Beat on medium speed to combine, about 1 minute.
5. Add dry ingredients and blend until smooth, about 2 minutes.
6. Add grated carrots and blend 30 seconds more, just to combine.
7. Pour batter evenly into prepared cake pans. Place in preheated oven and bake 30 to 34 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
8. While the cake is cooling, prepare Lemon Glaze by mixing confectioners’ sugar with 3 tablespoons lemon juice until smooth and creamy. Add in remaining lemon juice slowly, as needed, until desired consistency is reached. Stir in lemon zest.
9. Spread a thick layer of glaze on the top of the first cake layer to create a thin filling. Place other cake layer over filling. Then drizzle or pipe remaining glaze over the top of the cake.