Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Gluten-Free Summer Squash Lasagna
This dish is as colorful as it is flavorful. It can be served warm or at room temperature, making it perfect for summer dining.
1 teaspoon salt
15 brown rice or corn lasagna noodles
1 (5-ounce) bag fresh baby spinach
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 large shallot, minced
2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/8-inch- thick discs
2 medium yellow squash, cut into 1/8-inch thick discs
-Salt and pepper, to taste
2 pounds part-skim ricotta cheese or dairy-free ricotta replacement, divided
4 large eggs or flax gel
2 tablespoons dry parsley or 4 table- spoons fresh parsley
4 cups good-quality gluten-free marinara sauce, divided
2 cup low-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded, or dairy-free cheese replacement, divided
1 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese or dairy-free cheese replacement, divided
1. In a large pot, bring 6 quarts water to a boil. Stir in 1 teaspoon salt. Add pasta and cook until softened but not fully cooked, about 6 minutes. Rinse with cold water and drain. Lay noodles flat on foil to cool.
2. Preheat oven to 375°F.
3. In a large skillet, sauté spinach in 1 tablespoon olive oil just until wilted. Remove from pan and transfer to a plate to cool. Add 1 tablespoon additional oil and sauté minced shallot for 1 minute. Add zucchini and yellow squash and sauté for about 3 minutes or just until squash begins to soften but is not wilted. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
4. In a small bowl, combine ricotta cheese, eggs (or flax gel) and parsley. Add spinach and mix well.
5. Spread a small amount of marinara sauce in the bottom of a 9x13-inch pan with 2-inch high rim. Arrange 4 noodles lengthwise over sauce and one across the bottom, overlapping edges. Spread one-half ricotta mixture over pasta. Arrange half the squash over the top. Sprinkle with ¾ cup mozzarella and ½ cup Parmesan cheese. Top with another layer of lasagna noodles followed by half the remaining pasta sauce. Top with remaining ricotta mixture, squash and ¾ cup mozzarella. Top with remaining lasagna. Spoon remaining marinara sauce over pasta.
6. Cover lasagna loosely with aluminum foil. Set on a baking sheet and bake in preheated oven 30 minutes. Remove foil and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Bake uncovered 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving or serve at room temperature.
Each serving contains 514 calories, 23g total fat, 11g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 138mg cholesterol, 882mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, 28g protein.