Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Gluten-Free Peach Orange Spice Cake
Pretty and elegant, this cake makes the perfect company dessert. It travels nicely to picnic or potluck. If fresh peaches aren't available, frozen peach slices work well. You can also use fresh plums; the purple skin makes a beautiful presentation. This recipe can be made with egg replacement as instructed, with good results.
¾ cup all-purpose flour blend of choice*
½ cup sorghum flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon xanthan gum*
½ teaspoon salt*
¾ cup + 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter or dairy-free
buttery spread, room temperature
1½ teaspoons finely grated orange zest
2 large eggs or 2 tablespoons flax meal mixed with
6 tablespoons hot water; let sit until thickened
1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
4 ripe peaches**, each cut into 8 slices
¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon, for topping
-Whipped cream or whipped dairy- free topping
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 9-inch springform pan.
2. Combine flour blend, sorghum flour, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
3. Beat ¾ cup sugar and butter in a mixing bowl until fluffy. Add dry ingredients and orange zest and beat until crumbly. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition (or add flax gel and continue to beat until fluffy). Add orange juice and beat just to incorporate.
4. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Arrange peach slices on top of the batter so that they touch and form concentric circles that cover the batter. Press into the batter lightly. Don’t worry if the slices are not perfect. The cake will partially cover the fruit as it bakes.
5. Combine remaining 3 tablespoons sugar with cinnamon. Sprinkle over batter.
6. Place pan in preheated oven and bake 55 to 60 minutes until golden and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
7. Run a knife along the sides of the pan and release the cake from the pan. Serve cake slightly warm or at room temperature with whipped cream or dairy-free topping.
Each serving contains 254 calories, 11g total fat, 6g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 67mg cholesterol, 204mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 3g protein.
**TIP If fresh peaches aren’t available, use two 10-ounce bags of frozen sliced peaches. Select an organic brand, such as Cascadian Farm (cascadianfarm.com). Thaw fruit before using.