Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Gluten-Free Mexican Wedding Cookies
MAKES 24 COOKIES
Also called Italian butterballs and Russian tea cakes, these special-occasion cookies by Mary Capone are delicious and simple to make. They can be made one to two days ahead and stored in airtight containers. Refresh them by dusting or re-rolling in confectioners’ sugar just before serving. Recipe can be doubled or tripled for a crowd.
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or dairy-free butter alternative, room temperature
½ cup confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup raw, unsalted walnuts, pecans or sunflower seeds, finely chopped, or ¾ cup gluten-free flour blend of choice
1¾ cups Mary’s Flour Blend or gluten-free blend of choice
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
½ teaspoon fine-grind sea salt
-Confectioners’ sugar, for coating
1. Preheat oven to 300°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet or line it with parchment paper.
2. Cream butter and sugar together with a stand mixer or by hand until soft and well blended. Add vanilla and nuts, if using, and combine.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour blend (add additional ¾ cup blend here if not using nuts or sunflower seeds), xanthan gum and salt. Add to butter mixture and blend just until incorporated and dough forms into a ball.
4. Scoop about 1 tablespoon dough and roll it into a small ball or a crescent moon shape. Repeat with remaining dough. Place cookies on prepared baking sheet. (They will expand a little in the oven.) Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until cookies are light golden-brown on the bottom.
5. Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes on baking sheet. Roll in a bowl of confectioners’ sugar to coat completely.
Each cookie contains 152 calories, 11g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 20mg cholesterol, 42mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 1g protein.
Recipe by Mary Capone.
MAKES 6 CUPS
Brown rice flour contains more flavor
and nutrients than white rice flour.
2 cups brown rice flour
2 cups white rice flour
1⅓ cups potato starch (not potato flour)
⅔ cup tapioca starch/flour
1. Mix ingredients together. Store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator until used.
Each cup contains 564 calories, 2g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 4mg sodium, 127g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 7g protein.