Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Gluten-Free Java Oat Smoothie
Busy morning? When you need to bolt out of the house quickly, this perked-up coffee breakfast smoothie is just the trick. If your blender has trouble pulverizing dates, try soaking them overnight. Don’t add too much cardamom, as it can easily overpower the other flavors in the smoothie. If desired, sweeten with a touch of maple syrup.
1½ cups strongly brewed coffee, cooled
to room temperature
1 cup unflavored hemp, rice or other
milk of choice
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
⅓ cup pitted dried dates, chopped
⅓ cup gluten-free rolled oats (quick-cook, not instant)
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
-Dash of cardamom
1 frozen chopped banana
1. Place all ingredients into a blender container in the order listed.
2. Blend until smooth, about 1 to 2 minutes. Divide between 2 serving glasses.
Each serving contains 253 calories, 6g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 83mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, 5g protein.
- Replace coffee with an additional cup of another dairy-free beverage.
- Swap out cardamom for ground cloves or cinnamon.
- Try chia or salba seeds in lieu of ground flaxseed.
Living Without contributor Matthew Kadey, RD, (muffintinmania.com) is a dietitian and food writer. He is author of The Muffin Tin Chef and The No-Cook, No Bake Cookbook.