Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Gluten-Free Italian Flatbread
MAKES 2 LOAVES
This flavorful flatbread is easy to make and works great for sandwiches. It's perfect for your child's lunch box. It can be made with dairy and egg replacements with good results.
⅓ cup sorghum flour
¼ cup brown rice flour
½ cup tapioca flour
½ cup potato starch (not potato flour)
1½ teaspoons baking powder (if using flax gel,
increase to 2 teaspoons)
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 eggs or 3 egg whites or flax gel
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons butter or dairy-free margarine, melted
½ cup yogurt or dairy-free yogurt
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In large bowl, mix flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and xanthan gum.
3. In separate bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar until mixture is a lemon color. Add butter, yogurt, water and vinegar and mix.
4. With a spatula, slowly fold flour mixture into egg mixture. Batter will be sticky. Divide batter in half, placing each half on opposite sides of prepared baking sheet.
5. With floured fingertips, shape each flour mixture into a hamburger-shaped mound. Score the top into fourths with a floured knife.
6. Place dough in preheated oven and bake 25 to 30 minutes. If bread browns too quickly, cover loosely with foil. Remove bread from oven when done and cool on a rack.