Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Gluten-Free Honey Ginger Pumpkin Pie Filling
MAKES ONE 9-INCH PIE (8 SLICES)
This pumpkin pie will amaze your family and friends. Fresh ginger brightens the flavor. Top with a dollop of dairy-free whipped cream and a sprinkle of ground cinnamon. For best results, do not replace the eggs in this recipe.
1 (15-ounce) can pure pumpkin
½ cup packed brown sugar
⅓ cup honey
1¼ cups whipping cream or dairy-free unsweetened milk of choice, such as coconut milk
1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
1 recipe Pastry Crust
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Mix together pumpkin, sugar and honey in a large bowl.
3. Whisk in eggs, one at a time. Then whisk in whipping cream, ginger, cinnamon and salt.
4. Pour batter into uncooked piecrust and bake in preheated oven until set, about 60 minutes. If crust gets too brown before pie is done, carefully cover it with foil.
Each slice contains 387 calories, 18g total fat, 11g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 154mg cholesterol, 198mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 5g protein.
MAKES ONE 9-INCH CRUST
This easy crust can be made sweet or savory, the perfect companion to any filling. Use flax gel* as an egg replacement.
1 cup Mary’s All-Purpose Flour Blend
2 tablespoons sweet rice flour or tapioca starch/flour
3 tablespoons brown sugar (for a savory crust, eliminate sugar)
¼ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter or dairy-free butter alternative, well chilled
1 large egg or flax gel*
1 tablespoon ice water, more as needed
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 9-inch glass pie plate.
2. In a food processor, mix together flour blend, sweet rice flour or tapioca flour, brown sugar (for a savory crust, do not add sugar) and salt. Pulse to blend. If using a bowl, whisk ingredients together until combined.
3. Cut in butter just until mixture resembles coarse meal. If using a bowl, cut butter in with a pastry knife.
4. Add egg (or flax gel) and water, and mix just until dough forms a ball.
5. Flatten dough into a 6-inch disk and place between two sheets of parchment or wax paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour.
6. To make a piecrust, remove dough from the refrigerator and roll it out between paper sheets to an 11-inch round. Place in pie plate, crimp border, add filling and bake according to pie recipe. To make Sweet Potato Torte, roll dough to fit a 9-inch springform pan and follow instructions of Sweet Potato Torte recipe.
MAKES 6 CUPS
2 cups brown rice flour
2 cups white rice flour
1⅓ cups potato starch (not potato flour)
⅔ cup tapioca starch/flour
1. Mix ingredients together. Store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator until used.
Each cup contains 564 calories, 2g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 4 mg sodium, 127 g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 7g protein.