Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Gluten-Free Herb and Garlic Breadsticks
These breadsticks are family favorites and take only minutes to prepare.
½ cup water
¼ cup olive oil
¾ teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- Pinch fresh nutmeg
½ cup Mary’s All-Purpose Flour Blend
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon fresh herbs (thyme, parsley, basil), chopped
1 clove garlic, minced, optional
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly grease two baking sheets or line them with parchment paper.
2. In a medium saucepan, heat water, oil, salt, pepper and nutmeg over medium heat until liquid begins to simmer. Mix flour blend with xanthan gum and immediately add to saucepan, stirring until dough forms. Cook for 2 minutes over low heat, stirring constantly.
3. Pour the hot mixture into a food processor. Add eggs, herbs and garlic, if desired, and pulse until ingredients are incorporated and dough is smooth and elastic.
4. Spoon mixture into a pastry bag. A #14 bag with the coupling attached and no tip is just the right size for breadsticks. If you don’t have a pastry bag, use a large Zip-lock plastic bag with about ½-inch of one corner trimmed off. Squeeze out long, thin mounds of dough (8-10 inches long, ½ inch wide) onto prepared baking sheets. Use wet fingers to lightly press down the ends.
5. Bake breadsticks in preheated oven until golden brown, about 20 to 24 minutes.
Each breadstick contains 51 calories, 4g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 23mg cholesterol, 105mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 1g protein.
MAKES 6 CUPS
A combination of white and brown rice flour lightens the texture of baked goods. For a more nutritious mix with lower glycemic index, use all brown rice flour, a total of 4 cups flour.
2 cups brown rice flour
2 cups white rice flour
1⅓ cups potato starch (not potato flour)
⅔ cup tapioca starch/flour
1. Mix ingredients together. Store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator until used.
Each cup contains 564 calories, 2g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 4mg sodium, 127g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 7g protein.