Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Gluten-Free Cook Out Tips
Gluten-Free Grilled Pizza Crust
MAKES FOUR 6-INCH PIZZAS
Grilled pizza is a family favorite. The trick is using extremely hot, well-oiled grates to keep the dough from sticking. Once the crust is grilled, brush it with olive oil and sprinkle it with chopped tomatoes, oregano, garlic cloves and fresh basil leaves. Shut the lid and you’ll have a delicious pizza within minutes.
¾ cup warm water (105-110 degrees)
1 packet dry yeast, quick rising
1 cup sorghum flour
½ cup brown rice flour
½ cup white rice flour
¼ cup tapioca flour, extra for dusting
¼ cup potato starch
¼ cup golden milled flax seed
¼ cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons rice milk
2 tablespoons olive oil, more for brushing grates and tops of pizzas
1 egg, beaten, or egg replacer
- Toppings (such as chopped tomatoes, oregano, chopped garlic, fresh basil leaves, grated cheese of choice or dairy-free cheese replacement)
1. Combine warm water and yeast in a small bowl. Set aside.
2. Using a food processor, pulse together sorghum flour, brown rice flour, white rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch, flax seeds, cornstarch, sugar, xanthan gum, garlic powder and salt.
3. Add rice milk, olive oil, egg and yeast mixture, pulsing until dough begins to form a ball.
4. Dust cutting board with tapioca flour and place dough on board. Divide dough into 4 balls. Cover with a clean towel and let dough rise slightly in a warm place for 1 hour.
5. Dust cutting board with more tapioca flour and roll out dough into 6-inch rounds. Using fingers, pinch sides of dough to form an edge.
6. Pre-heat grill to medium-high heat and brush grates with olive oil.
7. Brush tops of dough with oil. Using a spatula, place crusts on the grill, oil side down. Shut lid and cook 5 minutes. Brush top side with oil and flip crust over. Top with desired toppings (sauce, dairy-free cheese, etc.). Shut lid and cook 4 to 5 minutes until crust is crispy on the bottom and toppings are heated.
Each pizza contains 503 calories, 12g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 53mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 90g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, 9g protein.