Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Tortilla Soup
This tortilla soup has a light tomato broth and simple yet assertive seasoning. Stirring crushed tortilla chips into the soup as it cooks gives it a full-bodied texture. For a fiesta of flavor, serve soup hot with a topping of crushed chips.
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 small onion, sliced thinly
2 jalapeños, seeded and sliced thinly
1 poblano pepper or green bell pepper, seeded,
chopped into ½-inch pieces
4 cloves garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
1 teaspoon salt
1 (24-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
1 (24-ounce) can gluten-free vegetable broth
1 tablespoon ground cumin
4 ounces gluten-free baked tortilla chips (about 2 cups), divided
1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus extra for garnish
Juice from 1 lime
Salt, to taste
1. Place oil in a 4-quart pot and sauté onions, jalapeños and poblano pepper over medium-high heat until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. (Add a little more oil or broth if needed.) Add garlic, red pepper flakes and salt and sauté for another minute.
2. Break up tomatoes with your fingers and add them to the pot, including the juice. Fill the tomato can with vegetable broth and add to the pot. Stir in the cumin.
3. Crush half the chips into crumbs (some bigger pieces are okay) and add to the pot. Cover and bring soup to a boil. Then lower heat to a simmer.
4. Add beans, corn and cilantro and let simmer for 5 more minutes. Add lime juice. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding salt to taste.
5. Ladle soup into serving bowls. Crumble remaining tortilla chips over the top and garnish with cilantro.
Each serving contains 270 calories, 3g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 50g total carb, 10g fiber, 6g sugars, 12g protein, 0mg cholesterol, 820mg sodium. Each serving supplies RDA vitamin A (8%), vitamin C (110%), calcium (15%), iron (20%).
Reprinted with permission from Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast & Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes, by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. Courtesy Da Capo Lifelong Books.