Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Strawberry Cupcakes
Not too sweet and flecked with fresh, red strawberries, these springtime cupcakes can serve as breakfast muffins for Mother’s Day. Coconut flour and eggs deliver extra protein. Topped with your favorite frosting, they make a special dessert. We do not recommend making this recipe egg free.
½ cup coconut flour
1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
¼ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
4 large eggs
½ cup agave nectar
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
½ cup finely chopped fresh strawberries
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 8 muffin cups with paper liners.
2. In a large bowl, combine the coconut flour, arrowroot powder, salt and baking soda.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, agave nectar and vanilla extract.
4. Blend the wet ingredients into the coconut flour mixture with a handheld mixer until thoroughly combined. Then fold in the strawberries.
5. Scoop ¼ cup of batter into each prepared muffin cup.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached. Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for 1 hour.
Each unfrosted cupcake is 137 calories, 4g fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 106mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 22g carbs, 3g fiber, 4g protein.
Reprinted with permission from Gluten-Free Cupcakes: 50 Irresistible Recipes Made with Almond and Coconut Flour. Copyright © 2011 by Elana Amsterdam, Celestial Arts, an imprint of Ten Speed Press, a division of the Crown Publishing Group, Berkeley, CA.