Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Mock Rye Bread
MAKES 2 LOAVES
There’s no rye in this bread, but you’ll be taken by the rye-bread flavor and texture.
4 cups Gluten-Free High-Protein Flour Blend
1 tablespoon xanthan gum
2 teaspoons salt
½ cup almond meal, powdered milk or DariFree powdered milk alternative
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 package (2¼ teaspoons) dry yeast granules
1 teaspoon rye flavor powder, optional
2 eggs, room temperature
1 egg white
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
¼ cup shortening or margarine
1 tablespoon organic molasses or unsulphured molasses
4 tablespoons agave nectar or brown sugar
1 teaspoon coffee extract or 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
2 cups warm milk of choice (rice, soy, hemp, nut milk) or water (110 to 115 degrees)
1. Grease two 8-inch loaf pans or two 8-inch round cake pans (at least 2 inches deep) and dust with rice flour.
2. In a medium-size bowl, combine flour blend, xanthan gum, salt, almond meal or powdered milk, cocoa powder, dry yeast and rye flavor powder, if desired. Set aside.
3. In mixing bowl of a stand mixer, combine eggs, egg white, cider vinegar, shortening or margarine, molasses, agave nectar and coffee extract. Mix ingredients together on medium-low speed for 1 minute to blend. Shortening will be lumpy.
4. Add milk or water to the wet ingredients and mix on low for 30 seconds.
5. Add half the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just blended. Add remaining half and blend. Then beat at medium-high speed for 4 minutes.
6. Spoon batter into prepared pans and set in a warm place to rise, about 50 minutes or until doubled in size. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
7. Bake bread pans in preheated oven for approximately 50 minutes until done. Bread is done when internal temperature reads 200 degrees on an instant-read thermometer. Bread may darken quickly. If so, lightly cover loaves with aluminum foil.
Each serving contains 106 calories, 3g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 15mg cholesterol, 208mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 2g protein.
TIP Gluten-free rye flavor is available from Authentic Foods (authenticfoods.com).
For Caraway Rye Bread, add 1 tablespoon caraway seeds to the dry ingredients. Before setting your bread aside to rise, lightly beat one egg white with a fork and brush the top of the loaves with a pastry brush. Sprinkle additional caraway seeds on the top of the loaves and let rise.
MAKES 4¼ CUPS
This nutritious blend works best in baked goods that require elasticity, such as wraps and pie crusts.
1¼ cups bean flour (your choice), chickpea flour or soy flour
1 cup arrowroot starch, cornstarch or potato starch
1 cup tapioca starch/flour
1 cup white or brown rice flour
Blend ingredients together until well combined. Store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator until used.
Each cup contains 588 calories, 3g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 128g carbohydrate, 24mg sodium, 6g fiber, 11g protein.