Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Black Bean Brownies
This gluten-free, dairy-free recipe might just be one of the highest-fiber, highest-protein brownies around. So rich-tasting and full of chocolate flavor, even kids won’t have any idea what the secret ingredient is. This recipe can be made with egg replacement; see instructions below*.
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed,
or ¾ cup dried black beans
5 tablespoons neutral-tasting oil, like canola oil
or grape seed oil
1 cup sugar
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ cup bean flour or other gluten-free flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum or guar gum
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon cayenne or chili powder, optional
½ cup chopped walnuts, optional
¼ cup dark chocolate chips**, optional
1. If using dried black beans, soak them for several hours and cook them until very tender.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan and set aside.
3. Add black beans to a bowl of a food processor and process until a paste forms.
4. Add eggs, oil, sugar, cocoa, flour, xanthan gum, vanilla, baking powder and chili powder, if using. Process until smooth and well combined. Add walnuts, if using, and process until walnuts are mixed in.
5. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan. Top with chocolate chips, if using.
6. Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until an inserted tester comes out clean.
Each brownie contains 191 calories, 8g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 53mg cholesterol, 180mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate 4g fiber, 5g protein.
*For Egg-Free Black Bean Brownies: Combine 9 tablespoons applesauce and 2-3 tablespoons water in a saucepan. Heat applesauce and water but don't boil. Add 3 tablespoons golden flax meal and stir well. Let cool. Then add to the recipe in place of the eggs.
**TIP Allergy-friendly chocolate chips are available from enjoylifefoods.com.
Recipe by Matthew Kadey, RD (muffintinmania.com), author of The Muffin Tin Chef and The No-Cook, No Bake Cookbook.