Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Gluten-Free Crisp Zucchini Rounds
Low-fat mayonnaise, lemon juice and Italian spices make this recipe flavorful and keep it healthy at the same time. Just right for summer and early fall entertaining when there’s a bumper crop of zucchini. Pick medium zucchini (2 inches in diameter) for best flavor. If dairy isn’t an issue, add ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese to the bread crumb mixture.
2 pounds fresh zucchini, washed, trimmed and cut into ¼-inch thick slices
½ cup low-fat mayonnaise, more for dipping
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, more for dipping
1 cup unflavored gluten-free bread crumbs
2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
-Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Grease with a light spray of vegetable oil.
2. In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise and lemon juice. Set aside.
3. In a second bowl, combine bread crumbs and seasoning.
4. Brush both sides of each zucchini slice with a generous coating of mayonnaise mixture. Dip in the bread crumbs to coat both sides. Spread in a single layer on prepared baking sheets.
5. Place in preheated oven and bake 15 minutes or until zucchini slices are soft but not mushy. Cool slightly. Serve with additional mayonnaise and lemon juice for dipping.
TIP For variety, replace half the zucchini with sliced eggplant. Bake 20 to 30 minutes or until soft.
Each serving contains 160 calories, 8g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 288mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 4g protein.
Food editor Beth Hillson is author of Gluten-Free Makeovers (glutenfreemakeovers.com), available at LivingWithout.com.