Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Gluten-Free Cinnamon Snack Mix
Turn up the crunch! Make your own Chex-type mix with gluten-free Chex cereals or Health Valley’s Rice or Corn Crunch Ems.
2 tablespoons melted coconut oil, grape seed oil or oil of choice
1 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
5 cups rice or corn Chex-type cereal or combination
1 cup gluten-free, dairy-free pretzels
½ cup dried fruit of choice (pineapple, raisins, cherries, bananas), prefer- ably sulfite free
½ cup sunflower seeds, optional
½ cup gluten-free, dairy-free chocolate chips, optional
1. In a large microwave-safe bowl, heat oil on high in microwave for 30 seconds.
2. Stir in sugar and cinnamon. Add cereal and pretzels, stirring until evenly coated.
3. Return mixture to the microwave and heat on high for 1 minute.
4. Stir in dried fruit. Add seeds and chocolate chips, if desired.
5. Cool. Store in an airtight bag until used.
Each serving contains 185 calories, 8g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 258mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 2g protein.
Sloppy Joe Kid-Wich
MAKES 10 TO 12 MINI-SANDWICHES
Enjoy this meaty recipe on gluten-free mini-buns or place dollops on gluten-free corn chips and serve as an appetizer. Perfect party fare for kids and adults. This recipe can be prepared in advance and refrigerated for two days. It freezes well; reheat before serving.
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped sweet bell peppers
1 pound ground beef (or turkey or bison)
1 teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon crushed chili flakes, more or less to taste
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 (7-ounce) jar tomato paste, low/no salt added
2 tablespoons honey
¼-½ cup water (use smaller amount if serving a bite on a corn chip)
1. In a large skillet, heat olive oil and sauté onions and peppers over medium heat until softened. Add ground meat, turmeric, chili flakes and cloves and cook until no pink color remains in meat, about 5 to 7 minutes.
2. Add apple cider vinegar, tomato paste, honey and water, 1/4 cup at a time until desired consistency. Stir to combine.
3. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve hot.
Each serving contains 107 calories, 5g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 23mg cholesterol, 43mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 8g protein.