Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake
This recipe makes an impressive birthday cake. It’s also great for cupcakes: Line cupcake tins with paper baking cups. Fill tins nearly to the top and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until done. Makes about 30 cupcakes.
1 cup brewed hot coffee
1 cup cocoa powder
1 cup hot water
3 cups gluten-free All-Purpose Flour Blend
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, margarine or Spectrum Organic Shortening
2½ cups sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease three 8- or 9-inch round cake pans and dust with gluten-free flour.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together coffee and cocoa powder. Add hot water and whisk until smooth.
3. In a separate bowl or on a piece of waxed paper, sift together the flour blend, baking soda, baking powder, salt and xanthan gum.
4. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat margarine and sugar at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes. Lower mixer speed to medium and add eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla and cream well, scraping down the bowl.
5. Add half of the dry ingredients to the wet batter, mixing until combined. Add half the cocoa mixture, mixing until combined. Add remaining dry ingredients and cocoa mixture and mix on medium speed until smooth, approximately 2 minutes.
6. Spoon batter equally into the 3 prepared cake pans. Place in preheated oven and bake for approximately 40 minutes or until done. The cake is done when an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool the cake in pans for 20 minutes. Then turn the cake out of pans onto a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
Each serving contains 291 calories, 13g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 53mg cholesterol, 42g carbohydrate, 476mg sodium, 2g fiber, 4g protein.
TIP This cake can be made egg free. Replace 4 large eggs with 6 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce mixed with 2 teaspoons baking powder + 4 tablespoons warm water mixed with 1 tablespoon gluten-free egg replacer.
RELATED RECIPE: Click here for a recipe for Gluten-Free Buttercream Frosting.