Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Gluten-Free Brioche Bread
SERVES 6 TO 8
This versatile French yeast bread can be enjoyed for breakfast or stuffed with a mushroom filling and served with salad for dinner. Slice it for French toast or toast it and top it with ice cream and fresh berries for dessert.
3 cups gluten-free High-Protein Flour Blend
1 tablespoon xanthan gum
½ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons sugar
2 packages rapid rise yeast
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
3 eggs, room temperature
1 cup whole milk or milk of choice (rice, hemp, soy), tepid, divided
1½ sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened, or Earth’s Balance Non-Dairy Buttery Sticks or dairy- free margarine
- Grated rind 1 lemon, optional
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a brioche mold or medium bundt pan.
2. Mix flour, xanthan gum, salt, sugar and yeast together in the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer.
3. Using the paddle of the mixer on medium speed, blend in vinegar, eggs and ½ cup milk. Add remaining ½ cup milk and scrape the sides.
4. Beat in soft butter, tablespoon by tablespoon. Then beat for 3 minutes.
5. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop the dough evenly into the prepared mold or bundt pan. Cover with a lightly oiled plastic film and set in a warm place to rise for 20 to 30 minutes.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Then lower heat to 350 degrees and bake another 20 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 200 degrees.
Each serving contains 400 calories, 21g total fat, 7g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 101mg cholesterol, 199mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 7g protein.
*TIP If you don't like bean flour, replace it with an equal amount of sorghum flour in this flour blend.