Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Gluten-Free Asian Vegetables with Beef and Rice Noodles
SERVES 6 TO 8
This fragrant recipe can be made using chicken or tofu in place of beef or omit entirely for a delicious vegetarian meal. Keep dish chilled until ready to eat.
1½ pounds sirloin steak (about 1½ inches thick)
6 ounces dry Asian rice noodles, medium thickness
2 tablespoons gluten-free tamari or soy sauce
2 tablespoons dry sherry
2 tablespoons honey
6 tablespoons gluten-free tamari
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup rice vinegar
3 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
1 tablespoon finely minced fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, crushed
-Red pepper flakes
½ small head green Savoy cabbage, thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
½ small head red cabbage, thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and sliced
6 ounces snow peas, trimmed and cut into thin strips, lengthwise
3 green onions, tops removed, remainder sliced very thin
1. Combine marinade ingredients and pour over steak. Marinate for 4 hours or overnight in the refrigerator. (If using chicken or tofu, marinate for 2 hours.)
2. Combine dressing ingredients and toss with cabbages, cucumber, snow peas and green onions. Set aside.
3. Heat a pot of water to boil and add rice noodles. (Do not add salt.) Turn off heat and let soak about 6 to 8 minutes or until noodles soften and expand. Drain well. Add noodles to vegetables and dressing. Toss and transfer to a large serving platter.
4. Grill or broil the steak to desired doneness. (To cook a 1½-inch steak to medium rare, grill 6 minutes on one side and 5 to 6 minutes on the second side.) Let rest for 5 minutes. Cut into thin strips.
5. Arrange beef strips over noodle mixture. Serve with additional dressing, if desired.