Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Makes 24 Bars
1⅓ cups gluten-free rolled oats or 1 cup quinoa flakes
1 cup sorghum flour
¾ cup white or brown rice flour
½ cup tapioca starch/flour
1½ teaspoons xanthan gum
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1½ teaspoons cinnamon
1⅔ cups light brown sugar, not packed
⅔ cup canola oil or other vegetable oil
4 tablespoons maple syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
⅔ cup raisins, soaked in warm water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking pan.
2.In large bowl, combine dry ingredients.
3. In medium bowl, combine vegetable oil, eggs, maple syrup and vanilla.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry mixture and mix with a fork or wooden spoon until blended.
5. Drain raisins, reserving ¼ cup liquid. Fold raisins into batter. Add reserved liquid, a little at a time until batter is smooth. Batter will be thick.
6. Spread batter into prepared baking pan. Bake in preheated oven 20 to 25 minutes until golden.
7. Cool on wire rack. Cut into bars or squares. To store, wrap and freeze.
*TIP Gluten-free oats are available at bobsredmill.com.
Each bar contains 201 calories, 7g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 18mg cholesterol, 134mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 3g protein.
This recipe by Beth Hillson was published in the April/May 2008 issue of Living Without magazine.