Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Irish Soda Bread
MAKES ONE 8-INCH ROUND LOAF
Just in time for St. Patrick's Day, this recipe improves on tradition with a delicious gluten-free, dairy-free twist.
½ cup currants
2 cups gluten-free High Protein Flour Blend,
more if dough is sticky and for dusting
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon xanthan gum
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unmelted coconut oil or organic,
non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
2 tablespoons butter, dairy-free margarine or
Earth Balance Buttery Spread
1½ teaspoons lightly toasted caraway seeds
¾ cups buttermilk*
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly dust cookie sheet with flour. Plump currants by covering them in hot water for 10 minutes to soak. Drain thoroughly and set aside.
2. Mix flour blend, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt together.
3. Pinch coconut oil and butter into the dry ingredients until mixture has a sandy texture.
4. Fluff in drained currants and caraway seeds.
5. Make a well in the mixture and pour in ½ cup buttermilk. Mix dry ingredients into the milk, adding more milk as needed to form a soft dough. (Better to have a wetter mixture than one that is too dry.)
6. Dust your working surface with flour blend. Turn dough out and gently knead into the flour, adding more flour as necessary to keep dough from sticking. Shape dough into a flat, round 6-inch loaf.
7. Place dough on prepared cookie sheet. Sprinkle top with more flour. Using a sharp knife, slash an X in the top.
8. Place dough in preheated oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
Serves 8. Each serving contains 209 calories, 7g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 477mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 3g protein.
MAKES 4¼ CUPS
1¼ cups bean flour, chickpea flour or soy flour
1 cup arrowroot starch, cornstarch or potato starch
1 cup tapioca starch/flour
1 cup white or brown rice flour
Blend ingredients together. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator until used.
Each cup contains 588 calories, 3g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 128g carbohydrate, 24 mg sodium, 6g fiber, 11 g protein.