Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Old-Fashioned Irish Soda Bread
MAKES ONE 8-INCH ROUND LOAF
2 cups high-protein, gluten-free flour blend or gluten-free flour blend of choice
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon xanthan gum
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup gluten-free oats
1 egg or flax gel*
1 cup buttermilk or milk of choice (rice,
hemp, soy, almond)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly dust a cookie sheet with gluten-free flour.
2. Mix flour blend, baking soda, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt and oats in a bowl.
3. Add egg (or flax gel*) and buttermilk and mix to form a soft, sticky dough.
4. Place dough on a lightly floured surface and shape it into a 6-inch flat round. Place it on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle it with gluten-free flour and score a large X in the top.
5. Bake in preheated oven until top is golden brown, about 30 to 35 minutes.
Serves 8. Each serving contains 189 calories, 2g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 28mg cholesterol, 494mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 5g protein.
MAKES 4¼ CUPS
1¼ cups bean flour, chickpea flour or soy flour
1 cup arrowroot starch, cornstarch or potato starch
1 cup tapioca starch/flour
1 cup white or brown rice flour
Blend ingredients together. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator until used.