Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
For gluten-free or allergy-friendly ingredients, check out these companies. Not every product sold by every company listed is gluten free or allergy friendly. Read labels carefully. When in doubt, confirm ingredients with the manufacturer.
This Mexican dish, popular throughout North America, is traditionally made with corn tortillas but variations using flour tortillas and various types of salsa are well received. For an egg-free meal, top each tortilla with a slice of tomato, dairy-free cheese, salsa and cilantro.
2-4 tablespoons olive oil
6 Flour Tortillas or 8 gluten-free prepared corn tortillas
1 cup shredded cheese or dairy-free alternative
6 extra-large eggs or cooked
Portobello mushroom, eggplant or tomato
1 cup prepared gluten-free salsa
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, optional
1. Coat the bottom of a large cast iron (or nonstick) skillet with 2 tablespoons olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add one tortilla and cook until warm and beginning to brown around the edges, 1 to 2 minutes. Turn tortilla over and cook for another minute.
2. With the tortilla still in the pan, sprinkle with a bit of cheese or dairy-free alternative. Allow to melt for a few moments.
3. Next, crack 1 egg into the skillet atop the melted cheese and cook until the white begins to set, about 3 minutes. Flip tortilla, along with the egg, over and cook for another minute or two. (This will be a bit messy. It’s okay.)
4. To serve, place tortilla and fried egg on a plate with the egg facing up. Top with salsa and cilantro, if desired. Sprinkle with more cheese, if desired.
5. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and eggs.