Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
These muffin mixes are gluten free.
Not every product sold by every company listed is gluten free or allergy friendly. Read labels carefully. When in doubt, confirm ingredients with the manufacturer.
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Blueberry Cinnamon Scones
Makes 12 scones
To dress these up, drizzle baked scones with a glaze (mix together confectioners’ sugar and milk of choice). Make the glaze sufficiently thick so it doesn’t drip down the sides. Alternatively, brush scones with a mixture of brown sugar and milk of choice before baking. Serve scones with homemade preserves, if desired.
2½ cups (about 15 ounces) gluten-free muffin mix (see Shopping List on right)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 tablespoons butter or dairy-free buttery spread, cut into small pieces and frozen for 10 minutes
1 large egg or flax gel
½ cup milk or dairy-free milk of choice
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
¾ cup fresh blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade, combine the muffin mix and cinnamon. Pulse briefly to blend. Scatter pieces of butter or dairy-free spread over the dry mix and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.
3. Combine the egg, milk and vinegar in a separate bowl. Add to flour mixture and pulse until moistened.
4. Transfer dough to a mixing bowl and fold in the blueberries. Scoop dough (about 3 tablespoons in each scoop) onto cookie sheets, leaving room for scones to spread.
5. Place cookie sheets in preheated oven and bake 15 to 17 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.