Gluten-Free Deep Dish Apple Cranberry Pie
MAKES 1 DEEP-DISH PIE
A delicious gluten-free apple pie is a great addition to the dessert table. Start with Sweet Pastry Crust and add this filling of tart apples, fresh spices and cranberries. If desired, arrange decorative cutouts on top and sprinkle with finishing sugar for a special presentation. Make this in a deep dish pie pan.
2 cups Mary’s All-Purpose Baking Flour Blend (below)
4 tablespoons sweet rice flour or tapioca flour/starch
6 tablespoons brown sugar
½ teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, ghee or butter alternative, well chilled
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons ice water, more as needed
1. In a food processor, mix together flour blend, sweet rice flour, brown sugar and salt. Pulse to blend.
2. Cut in butter just until mixture resembles coarse meal.
3. Add eggs and water and mix just until dough forms into a ball.
4. Divide dough in half, leaving 1 half slightly larger than the other for the bottom layer. Keep dough refrigerated until ready to roll. Flatten each piece into a 6-inch disk and place each between 2 sheets of flour-dusted parchment paper or wax paper. Refrigerate 30 minutes to chill.
4 tart apples (Granny Smith, McIntosh, Pink Lady), peeled and sliced
1/3 cup brown sugar
-Juice from ½ lemon
1 tablespoon gluten-free flour or potato starch (not potato flour)
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon cardamom
½ cup dried cranberries
1 tablespoon finishing sugar, optional
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 9-inch deep dish pie pan.
2. Mix together all filling ingredients. Set aside to let flavors combine.
3. Remove dough from the refrigerator. Roll the larger disk between 2 sheets of parchment paper or wax paper to fit the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate, about 11 inches. Transfer to prepared pie plate, allowing for a ¾-inch overhang. Roll the second disk to about 10 inches.
4. Add filling to bottom crust. Place the second circle of dough on top. Fold the top edge of dough under the bottom and crimp to seal. Sprinkle with finishing sugar, if desired.
5. Place pie in preheated oven and bake 45 to 50 minutes or until crust is a golden brown and apples are easily pieced with a fork.
Makes 8 slices. Each slice contains 476 calories, 19g total fat, 11g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 98mg cholesterol, 176mg sodium, 75g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 35g sugars, 4g protein, 42 Est GL.
For Egg-Free Sweet Pastry Crust, omit 2 eggs. Combine 2 tablespoons flax meal with 6 tablespoons warm unsweetened applesauce and 1 tablespoon hot water. Allow to cool. Then add to recipe to replace 2 eggs.
MAKES 6 CUPS
2 cups brown rice flour
2 cups white rice flour
1⅓ cups potato starch (not potato flour)
⅔ cup tapioca starch/flour
1. Mix ingredients together. Store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator until used.