Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Gluten-Free Crusty Dinner Rolls
MAKES 12 ROLLS
A crusty dinner roll is an essential part of Thanksgiving. These gluten-free, dairy-free rolls are lightly textured on the inside with a thick outer crust. They won’t fall apart when dipped in gravy. This easy recipe can be doubled. It can also be made with egg replacement.
¾ cup warm water (105°F-115°F)
1½ teaspoons active dry yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup brown rice flour
¼ cup tapioca flour/starch
¼ cup potato starch (not potato flour)
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
¾ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
½ teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1. Lightly oil a 12-cup muffin tin.
2. In a small bowl, combine warm water, yeast and sugar. Stir just until dissolved. Cover with a kitchen towel and set aside in a warm area for 10 minutes. Mixture will form a foam head about ¾ inch high.
3. Using a food processor with a blade or a stand mixer with a paddle, place rice flour, tapioca starch/flour, potato starch, xanthan gum and salt. Blend to combine ingredients, about 1 minute.
4. In a small bowl, whisk olive oil, eggs and vinegar until blended. Add this egg mixture and the yeast mixture to dry ingredients in the food processor or stand mixer and mix until combined. Continue blending dough 2 to 3 minutes. (If stirring by hand, blend with a wooden spoon 3 to 5 minutes.) Dough will be sticky and soft.
5. Using an ice cream scoop or large spoon, transfer dough to prepared muffin tin. Place in a warm, draft-free area and let rise 20 to 25 minutes. Rolls will almost double in size.
6. Preheat oven 375°F.
7. Place rolls in preheated oven and bake 20 to 25 minutes or until brown and crusty.
Each roll contains 113 calories, 5g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 35mg cholesterol, 163mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 0g sugars, 2g protein, 10 Est GL.
*For Egg-Free Dinner Rolls, omit 2 eggs. Combine 2 tablespoons flax meal with 6 tablespoons hot water. Let sit 5 minutes until slightly thickened. Then add to recipe to replace 2 eggs. NOTE: Egg-free rolls may take up to 45 minutes to double in size while rising.