Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Gluten-Free Corn Chowder
SERVES 6 TO 8
This recipe can be made year round. If fresh corn is not available, use canned or frozen. A true comfort food, this soup is creamy and slightly crunchy at the same time. It takes you back to childhood lunch on a cold winter day.
2 cups diced carrots
2 cups diced onions
2 cups diced celery
1½ tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons minced garlic
¼ cup white rice flour
4-6 cups gluten-free vegetable broth
1 teaspoon thyme
2 bay leaves
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
6–8 cups corn kernels
2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped (2 large sweet potatoes)
3 tablespoons honey
¾ cup sunflower seed butter or cashew butter
1. Sauté carrots, onions and celery in olive oil over a low heat for 10 to 15 minutes. Add garlic and cook another 5 minutes.
2. Stir in rice flour and slowly add broth.
3. Add thyme, bay leaves, salt, pepper, parsley and corn kernels. Add chopped sweet potatoes and honey. Bring soup to a boil and then turn heat down to a simmer.
4. Add sunflower seed butter and mix thoroughly. Let soup simmer covered for an additional 45 minutes.
5. Remove bay leaves. Puree soup for a few minutes with an immersion blender, leaving vegetables slightly chunky for texture. Adjust seasonings as needed. Serve hot.
Each serving contains 383 calories, 15g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 283mg sodium (using low-sodium broth), 59g carbohydrate, 7g fiber, 10g protein.
Sue Spector and her husband, Bob, are proprietors of Nature’s Grocer (naturesgrocervernon.com), a natural foods market, bakery and café located in Vernon, Connecticut.