Gluten-Free Almond Coconut Roulade
This versatile dessert can be rolled with dairy-free whipped topping, strawberry filling or any sweet filling of your choice. Garnish with fresh berries and toasted almonds, if tolerated. For best results, do not replace the eggs in this recipe.
1 cup almond meal*
1 cup unsweetened coconut, finely ground
7 large eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract or 2 tablespoons cherry brandy or kirsch
˝ teaspoon salt
3 drops lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 11x16-inch jelly roll pan and line it with parchment paper.
2. Mix together almond meal and ground coconut. Set aside.
3. Mix together egg yolks and sugar and beat until batter is thick and falls from the beaters in a heavy ribbon. Add vanilla or liqueur and beat for one minute.
4. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until light and fluffy. Add salt and lemon juice and beat.
5. Add a quarter of egg white to the yolk mixture. Fold in well.
6. Slide the remainder of the whites on top of yolk mixture. Sprinkle almond and coconut mixture over the whites. Then fold all ingredients into one another until completely combined.
7. Pour batter into prepared pan. Place on bottom rack in preheated oven and bake approximately 15 minutes until done.
8. Unmold jelly roll onto a sugared tea towel. Remove parchment paper, trim cake edges and loosely roll up the cake with the towel to cool.