Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Fig, Apricot and Honey Bread
SERVES 8 TO 12
Dried figs and apricots are a great flavor combination. Honey helps balance the tart apricots. Fresh figs can be substituted for dried, if available. This recipe makes one 8½x4½-inch loaf or two 5½x3-inch mini-loaves or 24 mini-muffins.
1 recipe Coconut Oat Bran Bread (prepared through step 3)
2/3 cup unflavored milk of choice (NOT ¾ cup)
¼ cup good-quality pure honey
½ cup roughly chopped dried (or fresh) figs, rolled in gluten-free flour
½ cup roughly chopped dried apricots, rolled in gluten-free flour
1 cup raw seeds or roughly chopped nuts, toasted, optional
½ cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut, optional
½ cup finely diced dates, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease one 8½x4½-inch loaf pan or two 5½x3-inch mini-loaf pans. Alternatively, place liners in a 24-count mini-muffin pan.
2. Prepare Coconut Oat Bran Bread batter through step 3.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together 2/3 cup milk and honey. Add to Coconut Oat Bran Bread batter and fold with a silicone spatula until all ingredients are just combined. Fold in chopped figs and apricots and other optional ingredients, if using.
4. Scrape batter into prepared pan(s) or scoop about 2/3 full into mini-muffin pans.
5. Place in preheated oven. Bake 8½x4½-inch loaf pan 30 minutes and then rotate the pan for even baking. Bake an additional 20 to 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out without crumbs. Bake mini-loaf pans 30 minutes and then rotate the pans. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out without crumbs. Cool loaves in the pan 5 minutes. Transfer loaves to a rack and cool completely. Bake mini-muffins 13 to 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out without crumbs. Cool in pan a few minutes and transfer to a rack to cool completely.