Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Gluten-Free Easter Coffee Cake
Breakfast comfort food at its best, this delicious, allergy-friendly coffee cake (no gluten, dairy, eggs!) begs for a cup of coffee or tea. Ideal for Easter breakfast or brunch, it contains pears and dairy-free yogurt for a moist, rich texture. Make it with apples and unsweetened applesauce for delicious variation.
1 cup sugar
1½ cups all-purpose flour blend of choice
½ cup sorghum flour
2 teaspoons xanthan gum*
½ teaspoon salt*
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1½ cups coconut yogurt or soy yogurt (flavored yogurt
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 tablespoons baby pear puree
½ cup peeled, chopped ripe Bartlett, Bosc or red pears or
diced canned pears, drained
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly oil a 9-inch springform pan.
2. Combine sugar, flour blend, sorghum flour, xanthan gum, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl. Set aside.
3. Combine yogurt, vegetable oil and pear puree in a mixing bowl and beat until smooth. Add dry ingredients and beat until smooth. Fold in chopped fruit.
4. Spoon half the batter into prepared pan, smoothing to the edges to cover the bottom. Cover with half the Crumble Topping. Spoon remaining batter over Crumble Topping and smooth to pan edges. Sprinkle remaining Crumble Topping over top.
5. Place pan in preheated oven and bake 50 to 55 minutes until cake tester comes out clean and center springs back when gently touched.
6. Cool 10 minutes in the pan. Remove the rim of the pan and cool cake completely on a wire rack.
MAKES 1¼ CUPS
This topping can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
½ cup rice flour
½ cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter or dairy free buttery spread, room temperature
1. Combine rice flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, cloves and salt in a large bowl. Mix well.
2. Add butter and use fingertips or a fork to combine just until mixture is crumbly.
Each serving contains 372 calories, 14g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 12mg cholesterol, 457mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 2g protein.