Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Easy Gluten-Free Pizza Dough
MAKES 2 12-INCH PIZZAS
Pizza tops the list of foods people miss the most when they go gluten free. And why not? Who doesn't want to sink their teeth into a chewy crust topped with favorite fixings? This gluten-free, allergy-friendly pizza crust recipe is guaranteed to become a regular in your home.
2½ cups gluten-free high-protein flour blend
½ cup millet flour
1 tablespoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons chopped dry or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary, optional
5 teaspoons instant active dry yeast
1⅓ cups warm water
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 450° F. If using a pizza stone, place it on the lowest rack before preheating the oven. Do this 30 to 60 minutes ahead so the stone is very hot. If you’re not using a stone, it’s not necessary to preheat the oven for an extended period of time.
2. In the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the high-protein blend, millet flour, xanthan gum, salt and rosemary, if used. Blend well. Add the yeast and blend.
3. In a small bowl, combine water, oil, honey and vinegar. Add to dry ingredients.
4. Beat at medium-high speed for 3 to 5 minutes or until the dough thickens.
5. Scoop half the dough onto a lightly oiled sheet of parchment paper. Cover with a sheet of lightly oiled plastic wrap. Use fingertips and palm to lightly press the dough into a 12-inch circle, creating a rim of dough around the edge.
6. Drizzle 2 teaspoons olive oil over the surface. Top with tomato sauce, if desired, and other topping of choice.
7. Slide pizza (with parchment paper) onto pizza paddle and transfer to preheated stone, sliding pizza and parchment off the paddle and onto the stone. If using a baking sheet, slide pizza and parchment onto a baking sheet and set it on the lowest rack of preheated oven. Bake 20 to 24 minutes. When done, the bottom of the pizza will be brown. (While first pizza is baking, repeat with remaining dough and topping ingredients.)
8. Slide pizza paddle under the parchment and slide the pizzas out of the oven. (Don’t worry if the paper tears a little.) Sprinkle pizzas with fresh rosemary, if desired, and serve warm.