Rocky Road Ice Cream
MAKES 1 QUART
Chocolate ice cream, crunchy nuts (or seeds) and gooey marshmallow cream make this a decadent-tasting treat.
1 recipe Chocolate Ice Cream ½ cup dairy-free mini-chocolate chips
1 cup toasted pumpkin seeds or toasted walnuts
1 cup Suzanne’s Ricemellow Creme or Honey Marshmallow Fluff (recipe below)
1. Pour cold Chocolate Ice Cream mixture into your ice cream machine and process per manufacturer’s instructions.
2. When the ice cream reaches soft-serve consistency and with the machine still running, add chocolate chips and toasted walnuts (or seeds) to incorporate.
3. Transfer ice cream to a shallow freezer dish and fold in Ricemellow Creme or Honey Marshmallow Fluff.
4. Serve ice cream straight from the dish. For pretty scoops, freeze ice cream until it’s hard. Then allow it to thaw on the counter for about 20 minutes before serving.
Honey Marshmallow Fluff
Store fluff in a sealed glass container at room temperature until used.
1 cup water, divided
1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1 cup honey
1. Place ½ cup water, gelatin, vanilla and salt in a deep, medium-large mixing bowl. (When beaten, mixture will almost double in size.) Set aside.
2. In a small saucepan, heat ½ cup water and honey to a simmer until ingredients reach 240°F on a candy thermometer.
3. Carefully pour hot honey mixture into other ingredients and beat well until mixture is white and fluffy, about 8 minutes.
About 6 servings per quart of ice cream. Each serving contains 482 calories, 20g total fat, 14g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 101mg sodium, 74g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, 51g sugars, 7g protein, 41 Est GL.
TIP Read labels carefully. Most commercial brands of marshmallow fluff contain eggs and corn syrup.