Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Gluten-Free Chocolate Pumpkin Pie with Cocoa Whipped Cream
MAKES ONE 9-INCH PIE
Here’s a delicious twist on an old favorite. Add chocolate ganache to traditional pumpkin pie and top it with cocoa whipped cream or dairy-free topping for a memorable holiday dessert. This recipe uses 1 Sweet Pastry Crust. Save the second crust for another use. For best results, do not replace the eggs in this recipe.
1 (15-ounce) can pure pumpkin puree
3 large eggs
1 cup coconut milk or dairy-free milk of choice
¾ cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup coconut milk, coconut creamer or milk alternative
½ cup bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1 uncooked gluten-free pie crust or 1 recipe Sweet Pastry Crust.
1. To make filling, whisk together all filling ingredients. Set aside to let flavors combine.
2. To make Chocolate Ganache, heat milk in small saucepan and bring to a light boil. Place chopped chocolate in a bowl. Pour hot milk over chocolate and let sit 1 to 2 minutes. Stir to combine until chocolate has melted.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9-inch pie plate.
4. If using Sweet Pastry Crust, remove 1 dough disk (half of the recipe) from refrigerator. Roll dough disk between parchment paper or wax paper to over-hang the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate. Transfer dough to prepared pie plate, allowing dough to over-hang edges by about ½ inch.
5. Add half ganache to the bottom of the pie crust.
6. Transfer pumpkin filling to crust. Spread remaining ganache on top and using a butter or pastry knife, swirl ganache into filling.
7. Place pie in preheated oven and bake 50 to 55 minutes or until center is set.
Cocoa Whipped Cream
MAKES 2 CUPS
If you can’t tolerate dairy, use a dairy-free whipped topping instead. For a homemade whipped topping made with coconut milk, go to http://www.livingwithout.com/recipes/coconut_cream-3580-1.html.
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
3 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1. With a hand mixer, beat together all ingredients until cream forms soft peaks. Don’t over-whip. Refrigerate until ready for use.