Gluten-Free Chicken Quinoa Salad with Lemon-Garlic Vinaigrette
This nutritious salad is a complete meal. It’s packed with protein-rich quinoa and colorful veggies for a filling lunch or a satisfying light supper.
⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon raw honey, more to taste
2 garlic cloves, roasted*
⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup quinoa
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1¼ cups gluten-free chicken broth, boiling hot
Pinch of salt
I medium red pepper, diced
1 medium yellow pepper, diced
2 boneless chicken breasts, sliced into thin strips
1 medium carrot, diced
8 ounces green beans, ends trimmed
½ cup toasted sunflower seeds or pine nuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. To make Lemon-Garlic Dressing, combine lemon juice, honey and roasted garlic in a blender and process until smooth. Slowly add ⅓ cup olive oil, blending on low spend until the dressing is emulsified.
3. Soak quinoa for a minute in cool water, stirring to loosen any dirt particles. Pour quinoa into a strainer and rinse in running water. (If quinoa is prewashed, skip this step.)
4. Put rinsed quinoa into a small baking dish and place in preheated oven to roast about 8 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon olive oil and return to oven to roast an additional minute.
5. Add 1¼ cups boiling broth and salt to quinoa. Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes.
6. While quinoa is baking, sauté peppers and chicken strips in remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil. Set aside.
7. Blanch carrots and green beans in a pot of boiling water for 1 to 2 minutes. Drain and shock in cold water for 30 seconds to stop the cooking.
8. When quinoa is done, combine quinoa, peppers and chicken with carrots and green beans. Sprinkle with sunflower seeds. Drizzle with Lemon Garlic dressing.
Recipe by Anna Sobaski, owner of Breads by Anna (breadsfromanna.com), a company that makes nutritious gluten-free, allergy-friendly baking mixes.