Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
For gluten-free or allergy-friendly ingredients used in these recipes, check out these websites.
Not every product sold by every company listed is gluten free or allergy friendly. Read labels carefully. When in doubt, confirm ingredients with the manufacturer.
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Butternut Squash-Apple Soup
SERVES 6 TO 8
Apple adds a bit of tartness to this otherwise sweet soup. Without dairy or gluten, it has a smooth and luscious texture that contrasts nicely with the crunch of parsnip chips and fried sage leaves used as garnish.
5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 medium leek, white and tender green parts, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (3-pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
2 medium golden delicious apples, peeled, cored and diced
1 medium russet potato, peeled and diced
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 quart gluten-free, dairy-free chicken stock
¾ cup apple juice
1¼ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons sage leaves
2 large parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
-Pumpkin oil, optional
1. In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil. Cook the leeks and garlic over medium heat until tender but do not let them brown, about 3 minutes.
2. Add the squash, apples, potato, thyme, chicken stock, apple juice, salt and black pepper. Bring the liquid to a boil. Then reduce heat to medium low, cover the pot and let the soup simmer for 20 minutes or until all vegetables are tender.
3. Puree the soup. Adjust seasonings, if needed.
4. In a separate sauté pan, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the sage leaves and cook them until crispy and the oil is infused with their aroma. Remove the sage leaves. Add the sliced parsnips, in batches if necessary, and cook them until golden brown. Drain them on a paper towel.
5. Serve the soup warm, topped with fried sage leaves, the parsnip chips and a drizzle of pumpkin oil, if desired.
Each serving contains 283 calories, 11g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 4mg cholesterol, 550mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, 6g protein.