Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Buckwheat Molasses Rolls
MAKES 12 ROLLS
Made with whole grains, molasses and ginger, these rolls are leavened with baking powder and quick to put together. They’re best served warm; they can be wrapped in foil and reheated in a hot oven for a few minutes. This recipe can be made with egg replacement; see instructions on right.
¾ cup sorghum flour
½ cup flaxseed meal
½ cup cornstarch
¼ cup buckwheat flour
2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
½ teaspoon ground ginger
1 large egg
¾ cup water
3 tablespoons dark molasses
2 tablespoons butter, melted, or olive oil
1 teaspoon (about) anise seeds, fennel seeds or poppy seeds
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In the work bowl of a food processor (or medium bowl, if mixing by hand), place sorghum flour, flaxseed meal, cornstarch, buckwheat flour, brown sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum, pepper, salt and ginger. Process until well mixed, about 10 seconds.
3. In a small bowl, place egg and beat with a fork to blend. Mix in water, molasses and melted butter. Add liquid mixture all at once to dry ingredients and process until a very thick, sticky batter forms, about 20 seconds (or beat with a wooden spoon for about 2 minutes).
4. Form 12 rolls by dropping batter onto prepared baking sheet by very mounded tablespoons. Sprinkle with seeds.
5. Bake rolls until they are firm to touch and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom, about 16 minutes. Let rolls stand on the baking sheet 5 minutes. Transfer to a rack. Serve hot or warm.
Each roll contains 125 calories, 4g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 23mg cholesterol, 179mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 5g sugars, 3g protein, 12Est GL.
For Egg-Free Buckwheat Molasses Rolls, omit 1 egg. Combine 1 tablespoon flax meal with 3 tablespoons warm applesauce and 1 tablespoon warm water. Allow to cool. Add mixture in step 3 to replace 1 egg.