Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Black Lentil Pork Mango Salad
This fetching salad tastes as good as it looks. If desired, replace the black lentils with French green lentils. Take leftovers to work for a healthy lunch.
1 cup black beluga lentils, rinsed
3 cups water
2 teaspoons canola or grape seed oil
1 pound pork tenderloin, sliced along its width into ½-inch rounds
2 ripe mangos, cubed
1 ripe avocado, cubed
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 large carrot, sliced into matchsticks
⅓ cup shelled raw sunflower seeds
-Juice of 1 lemon
2 garlic cloves, grated or finely minced
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon creamy Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¼ cup + 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
6 cups lettuce greens, such as baby spinach or mesclun
1. In a medium-size saucepan, bring lentils and 3 cups water to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered until lentils are just tender, about 25 minutes. Drain, rinse and let cool.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add pork and cook until browned on the outside and only slightly pink on the inside, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. In a large bowl, toss together lentils, pork, mangos, avocado, bell pepper and carrot.
4. In a dry skillet, toast sunflower seeds over medium heat until golden brown, about 4 minutes, stirring often. Stir sunflower seeds into salad.
5. In a small bowl, stir together lemon juice, garlic, mustard, cumin and sea salt. Whisk in olive oil. Add dressing to lentil salad, stirring to coat.
6. To serve, place greens on serving plates and top with lentil salad.
Each serving contains 467 calories, 25g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 49mg cholesterol, 221mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate, 13g fiber, 13g sugars, 28g protein, 14Est GL.