Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Better-Than-Ever Red Velvet Cupcakes
MAKES 12 CUPCAKES
These rich cupcakes satisfy a sweet tooth without too much sugar. Antioxidants (from chocolate and beets) and flavor meet with delicious results. Top cupcakes with 7-Minute Frosting or enjoy them plain. This recipe can be made with egg replacement.
1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour blend of choice
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon xanthan or guar gum (omit if in your flour blend)
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt (omit if in your blend)
¾ cup beet puree*
¾ cup sugar or coconut sugar or Sucanet
½ cup sunflower oil or other neutral-flavored oil
¼ cup unsweetened canned coconut milk or milk of choice
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract or pure almond extract
2 large eggs
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously oil the cups of a muffin pan or line them with paper liners.
2. Whisk together flour blend, cocoa, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
3. Combine beet puree, sugar, oil, coconut milk, vinegar, vanilla and eggs in the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment, thoroughly blend ingredients on medium speed, about 1 minute. Turn to low and slowly add the dry ingredients, mixing until all ingredients are incorporated. Do not over-mix.
4. Evenly distribute batter into prepared pan, filling each cup about ¾ full.
5. Place in preheated oven and bake 17 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the center cupcake comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack before topping with your favorite frosting.
Each cupcake without frosting contains 208 calories, 11g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 35mg cholesterol, 154mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 13g sugars, 3g protein, 16Est GL.
MAKES 4 CUPS
This frosting is for those who can tolerate eggs. (It cannot be made with an egg replacement.) It tastes like a light version of marshmallow fluff. Reduced sugar, along with vanilla extract and almond extract (if tolerated), push flavor to new heights.
3 egg whites
¾ cup sugar
4 tablespoons cold water
-Tiny pinch of salt
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar,
lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract, optional
1. Whisk together egg whites, sugar, water, salt and cream of tartar in a large heat-proof bowl that can be placed over a pan of boiling water or a double boiler. This mixture rises to at least 4 cups in volume so allow plenty of room in the bowl.
2. Place the bowl over a pan with a couple inches of boiling water, making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Using a hand-held electric mixer, beat mixture continually for 7 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and beat in vanilla extract and almond extract, if desired. Use immediately to frost cupcakes. Store leftover frosting in the refrigerator.
Each cupcake with frosting contains 221 calories, 11g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 35mg cholesterol, 159mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 17g sugars, 3g protein, Est GL 18.
Recipe by Sueson Vess, author of Simple, Delicious Solutions for Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Cooking (Special Eats), by Sueson Vess. Click here to purchase.