Get Living Without's FREE Recipe of the Week
Delicious allergy-friendly recipes for you and your family
Gluten-Free Spicy Tomato Soup
SERVES 6 TO 8
This is not your typical tomato soup. It’s a hearty, nutritious mixture of vegetables that complement the flavor of the tomatoes.
1½ cups diced carrots
1½ cups minced onions
4 stalks celery, chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
¼ teaspoon salt
1½ tablespoons olive oil
1½ cups chopped roasted red peppers
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 tablespoon dried dill weed
¼ teaspoon Tabasco sauce or hot sauce, to taste
2 teaspoons gluten-free Worcestershire sauce
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
2 (32-ounce) cans chopped tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted with liquid.
4 cups gluten-free vegetable broth
-Pinch cayenne pepper, optional 2 tablespoons honey
1. Saute carrots, onions, celery and garlic with salt in olive oil in soup kettle.
2. Add roasted red peppers and continue to cook. When onions are well done, add black pepper, parsley, dill weed, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste. Stir to combine.
3. Add canned chopped tomatoes, broth and cayenne pepper, if desired. Add honey and stir all ingredients together.
4. Cover soup and simmer 40 minutes over a low heat.
5. Turn off heat and blend all ingredients together with an immersion blender. Adjust seasonings to taste. Serve hot.
Each serving contains 141 calories, 3g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 246mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, 4g protein.
Sue Spector and her husband, Bob, are proprietors of Nature’s Grocer (naturesgrocervernon.com), a natural foods market, bakery and café located in Vernon, Connecticut.