Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Pita Bread
MAKES 10 TO 12
Pita bread is a fun alternative for sandwiches and perfect for dipping. This delicious recipe is gluten free, dairy free and can be made without eggs.
1 package yeast or quick-rising yeast
½ cup warm water
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1½ cups brown rice flour
½ cup tapioca flour
1 cup sorghum flour
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1¼ teaspoons salt
1 cup lukewarm water
1 egg or 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons warm water
1. Dissolve yeast in ½ cup warm water. Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes until water is frothy.
2. Combine flours, xanthan gum and salt in large bowl using a Kitchen Aid or other heavy-duty mixer. Pour in yeast mixture and egg (or egg substitute) and mix on medium speed using paddle attachment.
3. Slowly add ½ to 1 cup warm water and mix on medium for 2 minutes. Add enough water so that dough is soft and tacky, not liquid.
4. Coat large bowl with vegetable oil and place dough in bowl. Turn dough upside down so all dough is oiled. Allow dough to sit in a warm place for about 2 to 3 hours or until it has increased in size.
5. Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Lower oven rack to bottom position and place baking sheet in oven as it preheats.
6. Pinch off 10 to 12 small pieces of dough and place pieces on floured surface.
7. Roll each piece into a circle, about 5 to 6 inches across and ¼-inch thick, with a rolling pin.
8. Place several circles on preheated baking sheet and bake for 4 minutes until bread puffs up. Turn over and bake for additional 2 minutes.
9. Remove each pita from baking sheet with a spatula and gently push down each puff. Bake additional dough until all pitas are made. Serve immediately or place in storage bags.
TIP You can freeze pita bread (use freezer bags) for up to a month.
140calories, 1g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 18mg cholesterol, 250mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 3g protein
Recipe by Susan Adamson.